Nothing says comfort like a bowl of delicious noodle soup and one of my favourites is Japanese ramen. This Tonkotsu ramen recipe is easy for beginners and uses ingredients easily available at your local supermarket. I used my Phillips Multi Cooker to speed things up but if you’ve got the time, I recommend slow cooking the broth for 12 hours. Additionally, if you don’t own a pressure cooker it can easily be tailored to stove top cooking.
Top the bowl of delicious, hearty ramen with bamboo shoots, seaweed, boiled egg and flavoursome shitake mushrooms. Grab a glass of Japanese Asahi beer and enjoy!
- 500g pork ribs, cut into 3cm pieces or any pork cuts with bones
- 1L Coles Japanese Inspired Chicken Ramen Liquid Stock
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1cm piece peeled fresh ginger
- Japanese Ramen noodles, hokkien or egg noodles
- To garnish (ingredients are optional – pick whichever ones you like!): Fried bacon, shitake mushrooms, chopped green onions, bamboo shoots (canned), sliced seaweed, boiled eggs, sesame seeds, spicy sesame oil
SAUCES (ADD TO TASTE)
- Fish sauce
- Sou sauce
- Place the ribs or pork pieces into the pressure cooker
- Boil 1 litre of water and pour it over the pork. Select sauté mode and let the meat simmer for 10 minutes
- Drain the water from the meat and remove any fat (if you like to keep it fatty, you can also leave it on).
- Rinse the cooker pot, dry it, and return to the pressure cooker.
- Select sauté, add the oil and onions. Brown for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger, then add the ribs.
- Add the stock, plus extra water until the meat is submerged.
- Secure the lid and cook on high for 90 minutes.
- After 90 minutes, let the pressure out and let it stand in the cooker.
- Cook the noodles, bacon, boil eggs, shitake mushrooms (if purchased dried) and prepare all other garnishes.
- To serve place the noodles in bowl and pour in the broth. All garnishes and sauces to taste.
Let me know if you tried this recipe by sharing it with me on Instagram! I also posted my experience on my ‘Food’ Instgram stories so make sure to check it out.
If you want to see my other recipes check out the Italian Pizza Cob Loaf Recipe or Russian Pelmeni Recipe.